Thursday 6 February 2014

Why do you have to change and break my heart?!

Sadly this is not about a break up, i wish i could get a date in this one pony town. This is a post that is caused by some of my favourite bands suddenly changing their sound to something that is so far from what they were originally i still love them but its no longer the same. 

I will always cherish the fond memories i have of bands that have moved into new things, if only bands made music less like people. Then again the music wouldnt be the same because its written about the place the person is at right now, so im hoping that as i mature into a grown up type person i will hopefully love these albums as much as i love the originals. Alas praying to love something with time will be great when the time comes, however it sucks right now because i'm kind of angry at how samey everything is becoming.

Lets look at the main offenders who's music i have loved ever since i was old enough to get a baring for the lyrics, who have helped me through some really shitty times, and who have atleast one song on most of my playlists.


30 Seconds To Mars have been one of my favourite bands since (I'm even listening to them now) i first head A Beautiful Lie their second album in 2005 when my parents split up, I was only 10 and i was hunting for something anything that sounded and made me feel like someone out there felt like i did. The love for the album came after my love for the song, A Beautiful Lie was and still is one of my favourite songs. I stumbled on it purely by accident when i was watching Kerrang to piss off my mum, and ever since then i have had a relentless love for this band... No matter what mood im in i can listen to them.
The lyrics resounded with me in a way that alot of things were failing to do at the time, and as i've grown older the meaning of the lyrics have changed... At the time the lie was that we would still be a family and that everything would be fine, in some ways this isnt a lie anymore but theres no way its the family i wanted at the time... Now i wouldnt change a thing. Now the perfect denial can attributed to many things, none of them most likely what Jared Leto was feeling when he wrote the thing not that it matters to me.As i grew older i listened to the Album as a whole, and it has the majority of my all time favourite songs on there (Modern Myth, The Kill, Saviour, From Yesterday & Battle of one). There isnt actually a song on that album i dislike, and my taste in music has rapidly changed since then.
The next album of theirs This Is War (2009) i was 13 at the time, and once again there were lots of songs i liked on there however it wasnt the total love at first sight baby that A Beautiful Lie was to me, although once again i have never disliked any of the songs (The title song is AMAZING) and i listen to it a ridiculous amount. 


Their self titled first album was reccomnended to me at the same time which i didnt even know existed because in 2002 i was only 6/7 and way too young to listen to anything other than what my parents liked or the squeaky clean boybands on the approved music channel list (Not Kerrang which happens to be my current favourite). I hate to admit it but i've only recently gotten into Their self titled first album (Fallen was the song that did it) When i first heard their first album however i really disliked it, i thought it was too heavy blah blah blah which is stupid because at the time i was into screamo bands and got a black eye in a mosh pit at a We Are The Ocean concert... I think it was mostly dislike because to me it seemed different to what i loved and expected however now i realize they are very similar, which is what i mean by grow to love them... I will still complain however...


I waited with baited breath for the album they released last year, Love, Lust, Faith and Dreams and i was and still am slightly dissapointed with it, i mean the music is so something i would love from any other band. The songs are well written and the music is good its just so DIFFERENT i cant wrap my head around it, and i really dont like it as much as i feel i should. However there are still songs on there that i like Do or Die for example, or Up In The Air and Pire of Varanasi... Okay i think another factor to why i dont like this album as much as the others is the slighty pretensious song titles... The others just havnt appealed to me yet, city of angels is growing on me like a fungus though so im sure in time this album will be much loved just not as much as the others.


Right the next band who released an album last year that hasnt dissapointed me in that i dont like it, i absolutely love it! But more in the way of this is so different why did you go and have to change up our perfect formula.... is Panic! At The Disco
I was 13/14 when i first started listening to them with their 2008 album Pretty Odd (When The day Met The Night anyone?), the song Nine In The Afternoon was my introduction to them and from then on i was hooked, particularly after i discovered their A Fever You Cant Sweat Out Album, Build God And Then We'll Talk is still one of my favourite songs by them... Their lyrics are often risque but the actual music is just so good it is infact like a fever you cant sweat out (great Gym tracks btw) Vices and Virtues is not a favourite album of mine but the Ballad Of Mona Lisa is a great song as is Sarah Smiles, Too Weird To Live and Too Young To Die is brilliant i love the songs, but they are just so far from what this bands quirky sound that appealed to me in the first place you cant help be a little dissapointed especially when they sound so similar to Fall Out Boys new Album even the videos for Miss Jackson and My Friends Know What You Did in the dark and the Videos For This is Gospel and Alone Together are hospital based... Although the songs are different. I hate when bands get all samey and its a shame that this is happened but i do love the new albums so its not a total loss i just like to complain!


Here is a list of other bands who's albums have dissapointed me (not all of these are recent)

The Killers I love alot of their albums (Sams Town and Hot Mess in particular) and their songs have always appealed to me (Mr Brightside, When You Were Young ect) but once again their difference in Day and Age means that i barely listen to that album it just doesnt appeal to me like their other albums have and i havnt even bothered to get any of their newer stuff if they even have any (see what happens when you dissapoint me?)...

Muse are next on my hit list, this band is a family favourite so in some ways im commiting sacrilidge by speaking against them but it just has to be said their newest album The 2nd Law is just not as good as the earlier albums i mean Black Holes and Revelations is my favourite, followed by Absolution and then Origin of Symmetry (not too sure about Showbiz, I do like Sunburn though) thinking about it the only good thing about The Resistance is Uprising and Resistance... So i hope Muse pull their boots up and that their next album is back to the old epics (Plug In Baby, Starlight, Sing For Absolution ect)

3OH!3 im so dissapointed with Omens is no way near the amazing 13 year old rebel me loved WANT or even my 16 year old selfs much beloved Streets Of Gold.
I have seen this band live they are INCREDIBLE the energy, the music, the atmosphere it was just like a dream. I even met Sean the blonde one and he was really nice... I first listened to WANT aged 13 and the lyrics are really not appropriate i loved them, it was pulling away from the squeaky clean music i'd always enjoyed before and carving myself out a place... Maybe some of their lyrics on that album are a little extreme but i still love it to this day (IMNOTYOURBOYFRIENDBABY anyone?) Dont Trust Me might be their best known song but trust me they are a rough diamond although my family disagree's...




Right thats it for now, if i dont end it here i will go on forever, i can complain all day if you let me! If you have any bands to name and shame please do, or if you know any you think i might like please let me know! I'll try out most things and i have a rather ecletic taste (Marylin Manson to Glenn Miller) so im pretty sure i'll like something by them.

1 comment: