Monday 17 February 2014

You can never have enough Biffy.

Right the last week or so i've 'discovered' some new bands, and i say 'discovered' because some of them i've always known for like one song and in a download binge i got their full discography and now love them... I'm very fickle. 

One of these such bands is Biffy Clyro

            I had heard a few of their songs over the years, and always liked them but never really thought to investigate their brilliance. Im telling you i missed out on YEARS of being serenaded, by a scottish accent with amazing guitar and drums to boot. I was a fool, and anyone who hasnt atleast given them ago aswell is too... The song that made me want to check them out in further detail and know them for more than Many Of Horror, was Biblical off of their latest album Opposites. Biblical is like everything i needed in a song, it starts off all soft and lovely, has really good lyrics, is catchy, well sung, and well played and it gets going doesnt just stagnate in slow and sultry but moves forward into a slightly heavier chorus... Its everything i like in a little 4 minute package. SO after the amazement i felt at my own stupidity i swiftly downloaded all of their previous albums, even their first one Blackend Sky which i had been told to give a miss. And let me tell you im glad i didnt, yes the first album is very different to where they are now but all bands do that, as i so vehemntly protested in my last post. Kill The Old And Torture Their Young is my favourite song off of that album, it 6 minutes of strangeness that i find delightful if not slightly heavier than my usual taste at the start... Unfourtunatly i couldnt find the album they released inbetween 2002 and 2007 where there was Puzzle (possibly my favourite album) as all the songs meld really well when you
listen to it, none overpowering the others but all equally have their brilliance. For a taste  Get Fucked Stud is a personal favourite along with As Dust Dances 2/15ths... 
The next album Only Revolutions is the first one i heard and is in its own right very well made, however the only song i had heard off of it had been Many Of Horror, which is a good song but wasnt enough for me to explore further (once again i am a very stupid person) because that album is chock full of absolute GEMS. Just listen to the first track Captain and you'll understand why i should not of been hasty! My favourite tracks off of the album are Bubbles and God & Satan because they are both superb.
Their newest album Opposites was released in 2013 and is just as good as all the ones before, i have the Deluxe version its 22 songs of amazement... I completely love it The aforementioned Biblical is only the tip of the iceberg, theres Spanish Radio (possibly my
favourite off of the album) the unique Black Chandelier and A Girl and His Cat... This bands discography is just wonderful, you dont have to agree with me in the slightest but i hope you give them a try... They are definitly worth it, and im kicking myself for not enjoying them earlier.





 Another band that is in some ways an old forgotten favourite, that has been 'rediscovered' is You Me At Six, i was introduced to them with their album Take Off Your
Colours which i got for my birthday off of my dad in 2008, i'd never heard of them before that moment in time... and i became completely enamoured with them... I loved that album, i played it constantly. And by chance when i was clearing out my bedroom yesterday i found it again, and i fell in love all over again. Their music is lovely, Always Attract is a beauty a softer song from them, but if im honest The Rumour was and always will be my favourite its addictive i've played that album atleast 5 times in the last 24 hours... And i've downloaded all the stuff i've missed in the last 6 years of hermitism, i cant remember when i stopped playing them but i feel stupid for forgetting how much i enjoyed their music. Hold Me Down is their 2010 album that i enjoy but i dont like it as an entire peice like i do with Take Off Your Colours and the same goes for Sinners Never Sleep i like the odd song but not its entirety... So last night when i got all these i was abit dissapointed that the newer stuff lacked the punch i was looking for until i stumbled upon their newest album Cavalier Youth, i love it... Its brilliant. All the songs are great, but it is a slightly different sound from TOYC however it doesnt change how good the music is... From the first song the music just sits right, it feels right and fills the gap Hold Me Down and Sinners Never Sleep failed to fill with me... So im glad i 'rediscovered' You Me At Six because they are an old favourite that havnt failed to surprise me.

 
Another band i've 'rediscovered' is Paramore, when my old laptop went caput last summer,  i lost alot of music and im still finding gaps that i cant believe i've forgotten to fill... One of those gaps is Paramore sized and is now completely full to the brim with my favourites... Their newest self titled album Paramore is a delight particularly Still Into You which is my favourite off of the entire album. but i will always love the older stuff like Misery
Buisness, My Heart, Misguided Ghosts and When it Rains... I like all their stuff, they dont have a song i have a strong dislike for but Riot! is and always will be my favourite album by them because it was the album that introduced me to the wonder that is Paramore, and i can listen to it over and over again without getting annoyed. 
Hayley Williams is a very talented singer, and she shines in Paramore... however her solo stuff is also good (her new song with Zedd is amazing) but  i find that she suits Paramore and the style of music they play.





I hope this post hasnt been too boring, and i apologize for my rambles. They are born from my love of music, and as you can tell im really passionate about the things i love. I hope if you havnt listened to these three bands before that you'll give them a try now.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment